Cleo Separation Agreement

If you and your partner generally agree on what you want to do, if you separate, you can divide what you have agreed into a separation agreement. A separation agreement is a written contract that you and your partner enter into and that will tell you how you deal with your problems. This booklet describes the basic rules for the distribution of property between the separation of married spouses, their rights and obligations with respect to the matrimonial home, and what happens with the estate when a spouse dies. It also explains the difference in the situation of common law spouses. There are sections on debt liability, sharing CPP credits and written agreements. The brochure ends with detailed information on where you can find legal aid. Separating people often enter into an agreement to define their rights and obligations after separation. You can use this route if you want to get the amounts of assistance described in your separation contract, marriage contract, union or paternity contract. You can enter into a separation agreement at any time after the separation. But there are delays to ask your partner for certain things, like the division of the property. For example, you have 6 years from the date of separation, but only 2 years from the date of your divorce to share the property. Everything you and your spouse agree can be written in a separation agreement. You don`t have to wait until you agree before entering into a separation agreement.

You can agree on the things you agree on while you work on your other topics. Sign the agreement in front of a witness (who will also sign). CLEO`s Steps in a Family Law Case diagrams can help you understand and follow the trial. See you You can also enter into a separation agreement valid for a specified period of time. For example, if you agree on where your children will only live for the summer, you can say that the agreement will end in September. You don`t need a lawyer to help you. But it`s a good idea to have your own lawyer check for any agreement you make and give you legal advice before signing them. A mediator is a person trained to help you and your spouse discuss your problems, understand the other person`s position and try to reach an agreement. Separation agreements and court decisions can resolve some family matters if you separate, but they do not legally end your marriage.

The only way to end your marriage is to get a divorce.